martes, 23 de abril de 2024

Yesterday when I was young (Charles Aznavour) English Trad/Adap Herbert Kretzmer






Yesterday when I was young
The taste of life was sweet like rain upon my tongueI teased at life as if it were a foolish gameThe way an evening breeze would tease a candle flame
The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I plannedI always built to last on weak and shifting sandI lived by night and shunned, the naked light of dayAnd only now, I see how the years have run away
Yesterday, when I was youngThere were so many songs that waited to be sungSo many wild pleasures that lay in store for meAnd so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to see
I ran so fast that time, and youth at last ran outAnd I never stopped to think what life was all aboutAnd every conversation that I can recallConcerned itself with me, and nothing else at all
Yesterday, the moon was blueAnd every crazy day brought something new to doAnd I used my magic age as if it were a wandI never saw the waste and emptiness beyond
The game of love I played with arrogance and prideAnd every flame I lit, so quickly, quickly diedThe friends I made all seemed somehow to drift awayAnd only I am left on stage to end the play
There are so many songs in me that won't be sung'Cause I feel the bitter taste of tears upon my tongueAnd the time has come for me to pay for yesterdayWhen I was young


Ilustración: Smoking Christopher by A. Westenberg

No hay comentarios:

Hombre - Mujer

        1     aire helado que manos tibias piernas y muslos                             antiguos de mujeres han provocad...